Ending a Tenancy

Ending a Tenancy Agreement

There are three main ways to end a tenancy:
  • All the parties can agree to end the tenancy.
  • First National Bentleigh gives you a valid Notice to Vacate as per Residential Tenancies Act 1997.
  • You give notice to First National Bentleigh that you intend to vacate as per Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

Notice Required

If your tenancy is approaching the end of a fixed term and you wish to end your tenancy, you should provide 28 days’ notice in writing. Written notice can be given up to and including the last day of the fixed term.

If the fixed term period for your tenancy has ended and you wish to end your tenancy, you should provide 28 days’ notice in writing.

If the fixed term lease expires this does not mean that you "just " vacate, you must still provide a written notice.

The tenancy is viewed as a whole this means that all tenants are responsible, therefore if submitting a 28 days notice we will assume that all tenants at the property are vacating.

If not all tenants are vacating please contact us to discuss.

If you are using registered post please refer to “Renting a home. A guide for tenants”.

If you have signed a fixed term tenancy agreement and you wish to end the lease early, you should be aware that there might be costs involved. If you wish to end your lease before the end of the fixed term, please give as much notice as possible, this gives us the best chance possible of finding a replacement tenant and can reduce the costs you may have to pay. Costs that you could be liable for are rental costs until a new tenant is found or the fixed term agreement expires, advertising costs and re-letting fees.


Vacating the Property

You are required to remove all your belongings from the property by the agreed date of vacancy. You are also required to leave the rental property in good and clean condition, please see our Final Inspection Checklist. You should complete an Exit Condition Report before you vacate the rental property.

First National Bentleigh will conduct a final Inspection of the property at which time keys are returned to First National Bentleigh. If the property does not meet First National Bentleigh’s Final Inspection standards, these issues will be discussed with you and you will be given the opportunity to resolve them. The cost of which will be deducted from your bond.

Agreeing on the Return of the Bond

At the end of the tenancy, if both tenant and landlord are in agreeance the bond will be returned to the tenant. Please be aware that the Bonds needs to be dealt with within 10 business days of  the tenant vacating the property.


Final Meter Readings

If you have separate meters for gas, water and electricity you should let the providers know in advance you will be moving out.

If you do not do this, you may be charged for utilities in the next billing period.


Providing a Forwarding Address

It is a good idea to leave a forwarding address and telephone number when leaving a tenancy. The new address and telephone number should be given to First National Bentleigh, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) (if an application has been made) and the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) on the Bond Claim form.

You can also get your mail forwarded to your new address by completing a form at any Australia Post Office. There may be a fee for this service.

To find out more about your obligations and responsibilities at the end of a tenancy, please Contact Us