Beginning a Tenancy

At the start of your tenancy it is important you should:
  • Carefully read and understand the tenancy agreement before you sign it.
  • Obtain First National Bentleigh Property Manager’s contact details.
  • Pay the required Bond.
  • Pay rent, in advance.
  • Fill out, and keep a copy of the Condition Report.

Tenancy Agreements

A tenancy agreement, also called a lease, is a legal contract between you and the landlord.

There are two types of tenancy agreements:
  • A fixed-term agreement is for an initial set period.
  • A periodic agreement has no end date.

The tenancy agreement outlines:
  • The rent you need to pay and how to pay it.
  • The length and type of tenancy.
  • The amount of bond required.
  • Other conditions and rules.

First National Bentleigh strive to make this process easy and stress free for both landlords and tenants.


As part of the tenancy agreement, First National Bentleigh will ask you to pay a bond.

A bond acts as a security that you will meet the terms of your tenancy agreement. If you fail to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in rent arrears, your landlord may claim some or all of the bond when the tenancy ends.

Your bond money is held by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). Once a bond is paid, Rent Complete will provide you with a completed and signed official Bond Lodgement form to sign and a receipt will be issued by the RTBA.


 Condition Report

If you have paid a bond, First National Bentleigh will prepare a Condition Report, which notes the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures.

You are required to complete this form within 7 days of taking possession of the property.

The Condition Report can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage or replacement of missing items.


Water Meter Readings

In the Melbourne metropolitan area, if the property has a separate meter,you will be responsible for water usage and sewage disposal.

Please contact your  water provider (e.g. South East Water) who will read the meter and commence billing.


Utility Connections

When starting a tenancy, you need to:
  • Contact the utility providers of your choice to ensure gas and electricity are connected.
  • Arrange for bills to be in your name.
  • Leave enough time to arrange any connections prior to moving in.
  • Or as an alternative First National Bentleigh can arrange for all the above utilities to be connected by our “preferred” Utility Company DirectConnect.

To find out more about the tenancy process, please Contact Us